Sunday, August 9, 2009

Acadia: A New Orleans Bistro


Venue: Acadia

Location visited:
1303 NE Fremont Street, Portland, OR.
Website:
http://www.creolapdx.com
To Visit?
Spoil your taste buds with some creole culinary.

Only in Portland would you find Pilm trees. Never heard of one? That's because I've never seen one until now and created the name. It's our beloved Pine tree in practical summer wardrobe: trimmed to don a Palm tree look. Yes folks, I present you the Pilm tree. I discovered this tree on my way to Acadia. This cajun restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating, a cozy atmosphere, and waited by a helpful and enthused staff. Our candlelit dinner started with water out of glass jar cups, the usual bread and butter spread, and a not-so-usual recommended
Deviled Crawfish Tails dish. Very light in taste, yet still savory enough to eat with the bread on the side. I also like to try different mixed drinks at venues, since the drinks are as of much importance as the food. The French Quarter Martini (Pineapple and sage infused vodka, lemon, Chambord, and a float of champagne) was a delightfully sweet drink that I enjoyed with the crawfish appetizer, and further more with my main dish.



The boyfriend stuck to his usual favorite fish dishes, this time choosing the
Blackened Pompano (gulf fish) with corn relish served over a bed of rice. This pompano was baked to perfection, moist and juicy, rather than fried dry. I ventured for something more unique to Acadia's menu: the Soft Shelled Crab and Crawfish Etoufee. It was served on popcorn rice (smells like popcorn) with a hollandaise and jalapeno tartar sauce. The perfectly battered crab was an easy smooth chew, with plenty of flavorful jambalaya styled sauce over the rice.



Unfortunately after over-stuffing myself, I knew I couldn't force my digestive system to try the
Bread Pudding dessert which I overheard the waiter tell some other diners as "exquisite". I also didn't get to try the Battered Oyster appetizer dish since the waiter warned me it was on the heavier side when paired with the crab entree. No worries, I'll definitely be back, especially for Mardi Gras Mondays, when their menu features a cheap eats section with $9.95 entrees or a 3-course (greens, entree, and bread pudding dessert) meal for $17.95! Looks like I'll get to drive by the Pilm trees again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment